“ George and Sara Winn-Darley who are the current custodians of the property are pleased to share its heritage. They are willing to help with provision of catering and any other services that may lead to a successful outcome. ”

George Winn-Darley

Architectural History

Aldby Park was built in 1726 by John Brewster and Jane Darley and has remained in the Darley family ever since. The exact architect is not known but it is thought to have been John Brewster Darley himself. It is a classic Georgian design arranged over 4 floors.

In 1840 an imperial staircase was incorporated into the main hallway and two wings were added which were later removed in the 1950's. They were replaced by a north terrace at one end and on the south end by an Orangery designed by the late Francis Johnson. Johnson was an architect from Bridlington who specialised in Georgian property.

There is a Victorian walled garden incorporating a single man's Bothy.

The property enjoys views over mature parkland to the west and north. Views to the east look out over the River Derwent to the Yorkshire Wolds beyond. There is some 6 acres of gardens which incorporate the site of an Anglo-Saxon palace the seat of King Edwin of Northumbria which was used as recently as 1066 when the battle of Stamford Bridge took place some 2 miles away. The gardens were modelled and laid out, incorporating many terraces, by Sir Thomas Knowlton in the 1740's.

Architectural Features

Front stone steps lead up from the gravelled parking at the front to an open portico supported by stone pillars. On top of this at the first floor level is a verandah surrounded by ornate stone work. On the east elevation similar stone steps to those at the front, lead up to an entrance door above which are some impressive stone engravings.

A central corridor/hallway runs down the length of the house on all four floors each incorporating a number of arches. A number of the principal reception rooms and bedrooms are panelled and decorative artwork adorns the ceilings of the hall stairwell and several rooms.

The property is designed to look as though it has no roof and there is much flat lead work enabling one to walk both up the valley and all the way around the perimeter behind the parapet wall.

Filming Attributes

Aldby Park is located some 9 miles east of York and is well connected by rail. Approximately a half-hour drive from the A1 just outside Leeds and a one hour drive to the M1/M18 junction.

Leeds Bradford, Teeside, Robin Hood airports can be reached in approximately 1 hour.

York University has recently developed a state-of-the-art media film centre and is very keen to make its facilities available to third parties.
There is a specialist film-makers centre at Bubwith near Selby, approximately 25 minutes drive away which has some accommodation incorporating 25 rooms as well as studio equipment and screens.

Wifi is available throughout the house and there is a generous provision of electrical sockets. Use of candles, animals, smoke machines, heavy plant and machinery may be permitted by prior agreement. Nightshoots are also welcome.

The property is in a private location with impressive gates on the main drive, the site can be kept secure with relative ease.

map

Special Considerations

  • Accommodate Unit Base
  • Animals Allowed
  • Hotworks
  • Night Shoots
  • Remote Area

Topography

There is plenty of hard standing and parking areas close to the house and slightly further away depending on requirements. The property sits in the middle of a 4000 acre estate and the opportunity to utilise woodlands, riversides and other water features, period farmhouses and cottages are also a possibility.

Crew and Relevant Links

Contact

Email: nancy.sheridan@heritage4media.com

Phone: 01491 576046

Website: www.heritage4media.com