“ Standing proud upon the hill above the village, the Church of St Michael and All Angels, Blaisdon, is one of the most beautiful churches anyone would ever wish to visit. ”

Mandy Howell

Architectural History

St Michael and All Angels is built of Forest Stone with Bath Stone dressings. In the Early English style. The Church consists of Chancel, north Vestry, Nave, north Aisle, south Porch and embattled 15th-century western Tower. The latter is the only remaining portion of the old Church, which was destroyed by fire in 1699. Built in three stages with Battlements and stone Water-Chutes it is capped with a striking low, tiled Pyramidal Roof. The Church was rebuilt in 1869 by Mr F.R.Kempson, architect of Hereford. The stained glass east window is early 20th century. The Tower was repaired and the five existing bells recast and a sixth bell added in 1912. In the same year the Clock Tower was added.

Architectural Features

The Church is striking for the red colour of its Forest Stone and the Pyramidal Roof of the Tower. The approach to the Church is through an extremely pretty Churchyard which contains a number of 17th and 18th century chest tombs and headstones. Despite the 15th century Tower, the church has a staunchly Victorian appearance with steep sloping Eaves, chunky Support Brackets and huge heavyset Diagonal Buttresses. The internal space has a lovely overall simplicity. The Forest Stone remains exposed and encaustic tiles pave the floor. There is a four-bay Nave and a two-bay Chancel Arcade in unpolished grey stone divides the space.

Filming Attributes

The Church is an edifice of Forest Stone, with Bath Stone dressings, in the Early English style. It consists of a Chancel, Nave of four bays, north Aisle, south Porch and an embattled western Tower. Apart from the Tower, the rest of the building was destroyed by fire in 1699 and rebuilt in 1869. The Tower contains six well-maintained Bells and an early 20th century 8 day Clock in good working order. There are several stained glass windows, an ornate carved wooden pulpit and a stone font presented to the Church in 1913. The 100-year-old Walker Organ is in good working order.

map

Special Considerations

  • Accommodate Unit Base
  • Animals Allowed
  • Hotworks

Topography

St Michael and All Angels is situated in beautifully hilly countryside on the edge of the Forest of Dean, some 10 miles west of Gloucester. The Church was built on a hill at the top of the village and enjoys stunning, cinematic views over the Vale of the River Severn to the Cotswolds beyond. Blaisdon Woods run across the top and down one side of the hill and through the trees to the west it is possible to see the elegant Blaisdon Hall. In the village itself, there is a pub, a village hall and a war memorial. There are no shops.

Crew and Relevant Links