“ We’re pleased to welcome all contributions to our charitable endeavours and the fee for using our location will go towards the maintenance of this old and historic school and towards the educational grants that we give to local young people. Thanks for your business and good luck with your film. ”

David Shaw, Clerk to the Governors

Architectural History

An Elizabethan Grammar School, now museum. Built 1675, entrance rebuilt 1888, windows 1891. Roughcast stone with ashlar dressings, slate roof, Westmorland chimney, 2 storeys, 3 bays. The school was founded by Edwin Sandys, Archbishop of York, in 1585, and built by Daniel Rawlinson in 1675. Its most famous pupil was William Wordsworth, who attended 1778-1787, and whose name is carved on a desk. Interior is unchanged since the school closed over a century ago.

Architectural Features

3:2:2-light ovolo-mullioned windows, those to ground floor with 3-centred heads to lights, and label moulds to 1st floor windows; leaded glazing.
Entrance between 1st and 2nd bays has architrave, pulvinated frieze with panel dated 1585; above, a plaque with armorial bearing and memorial inscription to the founder, and date 1675 (placed there by the builder) under consoled cornice, the brackets with incised decoration, with scrolly pediment and crest; above, an obliquely set sundial in eared and shouldered architrave. Rainwater head dated 1891. Left return has projecting gable-end stack with round shaft on square base. Right return has 4-light windows, with 3-light window to rear wing, which has gable-end and cross-axial stacks with round shafts. Interior has chamfered beams; elliptical-headed fireplace. Fixed benches and desks covered with the carved names of pupils. Panelled door with strap hinges leads to stone dog-leg stair.

Filming Attributes

Good vehicle access to site with large tarmac car park opposite, together with public loos. Village centre with four pubs, plus numerous cafes and restaurants and shopping facilities is a stone’s throw away. A doctor’s surgery is located in the village and open each weekday.

map

Topography

The Grammar School is positioned off the village centre and is accessed from a tarmac lane leading up to Hawkshead Church. It has a small garden and lawn to the side and a lawn opposite. Two small cottages are across the lane and slightly up towards the church. The village car park is just across the road (operated by the National Park Authority) and this has a large tarmac surface used by coach operators and the like. Access to the A590 (and thence the M6 at junction 36) is 20 minutes via Newby Bridge. Access to Ambleside (15 minutes) and thence the North Lakes is via the B5286. Sawrey (of Beatrix Potter fame) is only two miles away on the B5285 and the Ferry then connects across Windermere to Bowness and Kendal. The nearest airports are Carlisle and Walney, the nearest major international airport is Manchester approximately 2hours drive away.

Crew and Relevant Links

Contact

Email: nancy.sheridan@heritage4media.com

Website: http://www.hawksheadgrammar.org.uk/