“ St Mary's, Ickworth, boasts an opulence on the inside that you would expect from a Church owned by one of the wealthiest families of the 17th and 18th centuries, yet which is belied by its more modest brick and flint exterior. ”

John Porter, Church Co-ordinator

Architectural History

St Mary’s, Ickworth, dates back to the 13th century in parts. It is the oldest surviving building on the Ickworth Estate, and the only extant reminder of Ickworth village. The Church has undergone four major redevelopments since its medieval origins. The first was in 1778, and included the building of the Tower and the 3-decker Pulpit. The second was in the 1830s, when William Ranger, a civil engineer and pioneer of small factory-made concrete blocks, is believed to have overseen the building of the north and west Porches, the Hervey family Pew and the south aisle, in which his concrete blocks, an almost unprecedented feature in church building at the time, can still be seen. In 1910, the architect, Arthur Conran Blomfield, carried out work which included the replacement of the north Porch and roof. A complete programme of renovation in 2013 has restored the Church to its full glory.

Architectural Features

Inside the Church, the most important features are the 14th-century drawing of the Angel Gabriel by the East Window; the wooden Pulpit constructed on 3 levels; the luxurious Hervey family Pew; the Hervey family Vault; roundels of painted Flemish glass and stained glass Windows; a Gallery and a Graveyard that dates back to the Doomsday Book (1086). The churchyard contains many finely-carved tombstones and monuments.

Filming Attributes

The Church is spacious and well lit by large windows. There is ramp access to the ground floor. There is ample parking available in Ickworth Park about 600m away from the Church. The Ickworth Hotel and a coffee shop are only five minutes away.

map

Topography

St Mary's is situated within the park of the beautiful Ickworth House. There is easy access to the Church and plenty of green area around it, often with sheep grazing. The Churchyard contains a number of mature trees of assorted species; some are heavily clad with ivy.
St Mary’s, Ickworth is 3 miles from Bury St Edmunds. There are good rail services between Bury St Edmunds and London Kings Cross and London Liverpool Street. The A14 from Birmingham to Felixstowe is the main road serving Bury St Edmunds, and connects with London via the M11/A11. The nearest airport is London Stansted (40 miles).

Crew and Relevant Links

Contact

Email: nancy.sheridan@heritage4media.com

Phone: Heritage4Media: 07736 364722

Website: http://www.ickworthchurch.org.uk