“ The site offers a fantastic opportunity to film within a closed 17-acre facility, virtually undisturbed. Its military history provides a variety of different buildings ranging in age (the earliest being constructed in 1804) along with various outdoor settings such as a canal, bastioned walls and portcullises. ”

Michael Chittenden, Property Owner

Architectural History

The Royal Ordnance Depot at Weedon Bec was designed and built between 1804 and 1816 as a unique, planned, defensible military storage complex. Its location in the village of Weedon Bec was chosen for its position at the ‘heart of the country’ being the furthest point from coastline which could be vulnerable to attack. Its eight storehouses were purpose built to house munitions for the Napoleonic war. It ceased operation as a military facility in the 1950s and has been in private ownership for many years. The depot was once served by the Ordnance Canal, a spur from the Grand Union Canal and, whilst a section of canal still provides an attractive setting for the well preserved complex, its connecting link to the Grand Union Canal has long since been filled in. Later in its life, a railway connection was brought directly into the depot.

Architectural Features

The Storehouses sit along either side of the canal. Along with the handsome storehouses, there are a number of larger warehouses; the total floor area of the buildings is approximately 200,000 sqft. The 17-acre site is surrounded by bastioned walls with two early 19th-century yellow brick Gatehouses complete with wooden portcullises. The octagonal cupola on the Gatehouse at the main entrance features a clock branded 1814. The boundary Wall is of red brick in Flemish bond. It is bastioned in the corners with ramparts and stone carved staircases. The Gates are mainly 20th century. The Barrack Blocks or Storehouses are of red brick construction, c. 1810. Each has a central double leaf door flanked by stone pilasters and the first floor is supported by three rows of timber posts. The Blocks to the south side of the canal have basement floors at the rear built over with grey sandstone. Brick tunnel vaults with arched doorways make up the basement in each bay.
The Storehouse, c.1900, is of brick with an iron frame, and hipped slated roof with bricked parapet. There is a heavy iron framework interior with riveted iron girders and joists supported by cruciform iron columns. Loading entry ways to first and second floor. All the buildings, including several later additions, are Grade II* listed.

Filming Attributes

The site is self-contained and indeed walled at all boundaries to protect from unwanted attention. The majority of the buildings are unoccupied, those that are occupied are for storage purposes. The buildings can be used externally and internally. Upper floors have good loading capabilities.
Within the village is a Premier Inn. There are other hotels within a 10 mile radius – e.g. http://www.fawsleyhall.com/country-house-hotel .
Night shoots are permitted.

map

Special Considerations

  • Accommodate Unit Base
  • Animals Allowed
  • Hotworks
  • Night Shoots
  • Remote Area
  • Weekend Shoots

Topography

Heavy machinery will be easily accommodated as will large numbers of vehicles of all sizes. The site has a mix of hard standing and soft grassland. The areas of hard standing are generally flat and can accommodate good loading. There is a canal which could support narrow boats. The location is easily accessible from the M1 and is equidistant from both Northampton and Daventry town centres. Nearest International Airport is Birmingham (40 miles) and the closest commercial airport is Coventry (23 miles). The nearest light aircraft/helicopter airport is Sywell (10 miles). The site is accessed via two separate routes, used already by heavy good vehicles, via the A45.

Crew and Relevant Links

Contact

Email: nancy.sheridan@heritage4media.com

Phone: Heritage4Media: 07736 364722

Website: www.manorbythelake.co.uk